Would you like to ride and trek in some of North Borneo’s most dramatic scenery?
This ride through the foothills and valleys of Mount Kinabalu takes you well away from tourist routes and into the heart of jungle paradise. Riding a mountain bike is one of the purest ways to see and interact with this magnificent place. The mystique and commanding presence of Mount Kinabalu throughout this ride provide a vista that changes almost minute by minute.
Itinerary (Timings to be used as guidelines only)
Day 1 – You will be collected from your hotel in Kota Kinabalu before being driven to Kiau Valley where we will begin the ride. We then ride down through Kiau Valley to Kampung Kaung with excellent views of the jungle-clad valley and Mount Kinabalu.
When we get to the end of the ride able trail, we put the bikes onto the truck and from here we walk through Kampung Kaung where we begin the jungle trek. We make a few river crossings until we arrive at the paddy fields of Kampung Tambatuan where we overnight in the village community homestay. There are comfortable dorms and a huge veranda facing the granite walls of the western flanks of Mount Kinabalu.
In the evening, there will be a sit-down dinner of pasta (optional) with wine and beer to chat through the days thrills while the team service the bikes and get ready for the second days adventure.
Day 2 – This is a full day in the saddle. We head north on mostly gravel roads for 25 km, stopping to swim in cool rivers and entertain the bemused locals. There are lots of cool drinks supplied by the support vehicle along the way.
The ride finishes at the town of Taginambur, a quiet town where tourists are rarely seen. Taste the local cuisine at a local restaurant for lunch before head back to Kota Kinabalu.
- An adventurous spirit – this is off the tourist trail so don’t expect many facilities along the way
- Be prepared for physical exertion, you may be riding up to 25km per day and it can be hot
- A good level of fitness or an incredibly resilient sense of humour
- Reasonable biking skill
- Qualified Guide
- All food and board
- Drinking water
What to bring:
- Riding Shorts
- Riding trainers (no sandals)
- Sun cream/lotion
- A change of clothes for the evenings
- Personal bag which will be carried in the support vehicle
- Helmet (if you wish to bring your own)
- Hydration backpack
- Insect repellent
- This tour is almost totally away from other tour destinations and it is unlikely that you will not see any other tourists.
- If at any time you feel unwell, or need a rest there is a vehicle close by.
- Our guides are all trained in first aid and we carry comprehensive first aid kits and rescue equipment.
- All water, isotonic drinks, beer and wine is provided. We hope that you do not drink so much that you cannot take part in the next day’s activities!
- Please advise our guides if you prefer to try the local cuisine instead of pasta for dinner on the first night.