Beyond the temples lies a rural landscape which is often little changed since the days of Jayavarman VII. To depart Siem Reap having seen only the temple ruins is to miss contemporary Khmer culture. As infrastructure and technology encroaches upon the countryside this opportunity will soon be lost.
After a short drive from Siem Reap visit a colourful contemporary pagoda to learn more about the importance of Buddhism in rural communities and seek a *blessing from the monks*.
This evening is situated in a beautiful and tranquil village to the north of the *Western Baray*. An impressive engineering feat, this man-made reservoir was once integral to the complex Angkorian rice irrigation system. You will travel by boat (depending on water level) late this afternoon.
To relax here a while is an opportunity to slow down and just watch, cold drink in hand. The tempo of the Cambodian countryside is truly meditation in motion. At the end of the day you will likely see ox-carts returning from the fields, children washing their water buffalos, or playing and laughing as they jump from the bridge into the stream.
While our chef prepares your dinner you can wander across the levees of the rice paddies, look for fish traps, or walk to a viewpoint over the ancient reservoir. Listen to the elegance of *traditional Khmer music* played by local musicians, before being seated for your evening meal.
Return to the hotel at your leisure in your private vehicle. Most guests depart around 8:30 or 9pm.
- Pickup and return transfers in private vehicle
- Boat journey across the ancient West Baray
- Welcome glass of prosecco
- Free-flow sunset cocktails, beers and wines.
- Fine dining (4 courses, 11 dishes)
- Free-flow beverages: red-white wines, local beers, cocktails, soft drinks, chilled mineral waters.
Other important information:
- Dining is in the open air and naturally there are bugs attracted to the lighting. While we take every care to limit the effects through specialist lighting you should take note and dress accordingly.
Anti-bug spray is provided.
- Sensible footwear is recommended for walking in the countryside. Climbing in and out of boats is necessary and there is a short ladder staircase from the boat out of the Baray.
- Pick up at your hotel at 15:45 (tour will be canceled for departures later than 16:15)
Based on 2 reviews